Tuesday, June 22, 2010

50th Wedding Anniversary

One of 50 Red Roses


My husband and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary June 19th. It proves two people who are polar opposites can co-exist. We married while in college and after I graduated, my husband earned his PhD. They were interesting years to say the least. About the only things we have in common are two children and our love of horses. We raised horses for many years and our children took them into the show ring. Our son wanted to be a cowboy and wasn't too interested in horsemanship, but our daughter was serious about getting her horses to do exactly as she asked and worked at it every day. We have an attic full of trophies to prove it.

My daughter and son-in-law had planned a family celebration on Saturday night at St. Elmo's restaurant in Indianapolis. I became ill with an infrequent but recurring illness Thursday evening and wasn't sure I would be able to attend, but I made it, and we enjoyed it tremendously. It was a wonderful evening at one of our favorite places.

Every anniversary, without fail, my husband has sent me a red rose for each year we've been married. The red rose in the picture is one of the 50 I received this year. It's beginning to fade a bit, but then so am I. Don't ever tell my husband my favorite rose is yellow. I never have.

3 comments:

  1. I know we are related and I should know this...but I refuse to believe you are old enough to be married 50 years. Were you 10 when you got married? You are beautiful and my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Brenda! We just celebrated our 30th on June 14. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 50 yrs. Where have they gone?? We celebrated 45 in Dec. We were in Indy at Bravo's with family doing a father's day dinner on the same night. Love to see pictures of the kids someday.
    love, marlis

    ReplyDelete