Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spring in Indiana


















As a sixth generation Hoosier, my roots go deep in the Indiana soil. I come from a long line of gardeners. My maternal grandmother propagated her own roses and was very proud of her rose garden. In my mind I can see her in the garden wearing white gloves covering sprouts with large glass jars. Spring came early this year and it was very welcome after a winter of record-breaking snows. The crocuses, hyacinths, and tulips were first followed by daffodils, red buds, and weeping Japanese cherries. My friend Judi, in South Carolina, sent me some new daffodil bulbs this spring and I eagerly await their blooming next year. I have about 15 lilac buses and the whole outside smelled of lilacs. The azaleas were magnificent and the magnolia tree was so full of blossoms it was hard to see the green leaves. The snowball bushes were in full bloom, but they didn't like the cold front that came in last weekend. Clematis' are blooming and hydrangeas are budded. It's time to plant the annuals in pots to coordinate with the hanging baskets of flowers I received as Mother's Day gifts. Never an idle moment..........


No comments:

Post a Comment